Thursday, July 21, 2011

First 10 Days...

I arrived here in CR on Tues., July 12, during the rainy season - very interesting.  The first thing I noticed was that my hair suddenly went from bone straight to curly - it just doesn't dry!  You do not want to put a hair dryer to it 'cause you sweat so much that your hair stays wet and don't dare try to straighten it with a flat iron - oh no - you don't want to do that!  You will hear it singe!!!!  So, just twirl it around your fingers and enjoy the curls!  It rained every afternoon and evening the first week I was here but now we're having "Indian Summer" - absolutely gorgeous days!!!!  This supposedly will last for a couple of weeks.  You wouldn't believe it - the air is so clean and the skies so clear!  This morning it felt like a spring day in Texas when you get to open the windows and not have to use the air conditioning.  We sleep in every morning ('cause we can!) and I have decided that tomorrow I need to get up early and walk the farm to see what it looks like that time of day!  I have a feeling it's gonna be wonderful.  This evening when we walked I so wished I had my camera with me!  The evening sunlight coming through the trees and plants was crazy beautiful!

We decided that I should probably start Spanish school around Aug 1!!!  Tommy says I'll probably go about 4 hours a day and sleep the rest of the day - he seems to think it will tax my brain!  Ya' think???  Being 63 and learning a new language is gonna be a trip!!!  Speaking of trips, I gotta learn how to get to school and get back to the farm!!!  So, that means I should start driving here pretty soon - It's been real nice having a driver but I'm thinkin' I may have to take the bull by the horns (so to speak) and hit the road real soon!  Look out Costa Rica, there's a new girl in town!!

I'm so excited and happy about my new life here in the most beautiful place with the most wonderful man who is tells me, "you're still new here" as an excuse for me being an idiot!  I don't speak in public, I don't drive, I can't read the newspaper, I don't understand the money/prices so I'm constantly asking him, "what's that" (for example, I thought the trash containers out in front of everyone's house was a smoker 'cause they use those black oil drums cut in half to put their trash in so the dogs don't get into it.  I said, "so I guess they barbecue a lot here, huh?  He didn't have a clue where that comment came from!!!)  I  feel like I'm in a dream sort of - not being able to speak!  I wake up and don't even know what day it is 'cause it doesn't matter!!!  Is that crazy or what???  I finally decided that the only way I'll know is that the cleaning lady (Cecelia) comes on Tuesday and Friday - Tommy says that's the only way he knows - unbelievable!  Speaking of Cecelia - I won't go into how we first met (something to do with her not knocking on the bedroom door and me getting dressed! :(  Anyway... Tommy says I run a "tight ship" and he could probably let her go!!!  Whoa.............I don't think so!!!  I mean I need her - seriously!  There's so much to do here on the farm with 2 houses and a tree house plus gardening, plus learning Spanish!  Stay tuned...I'll let you know how it all works out but for now I'm off to have desert with "my honey"!!!  Buenos noches!

9 comments:

tina said...

This blog was the best birthday present (yes, today is my birthday) I received. You may have to learn Spanish but you don't have to learn how to write. Your blog was priceless. I can tell you miss your job. Right.

Wilma said...

You & Tommy are having way too much fun:)

dorothy b. said...

wow! Good for you Pardy. I am so happy for you! You can learn Spanish, no problema. It's a Latin language, and you've spent a lot of time at Mass! haha
Love ya! Suzy

Katie @ Modern-Day Family said...

LOVED reading this! I got so excited to see you post because I was a little worried about it when we skyped :) PLEASE keep it up. Love hearing all about your adventures. If i knew how to say good luck in spanish I would. ha

Wilma said...

buena suerte Pardy!

Chris Thomas said...

Hey, Pardy! I am so glad you are having fun! Love from your crhp sistas!!!

Kathy said...

Pardy - Love the blog. Keep it up. I love hearing details about the farm and your surroundings. Helps me picture where you are. When I come visit we will have art lessons in the studio!!! Can't help with cooking lessons!!!

haybob said...

glad you arrived safely.
Just now learned how to comment on your blog.
They tell me to be immershed? in Spanish is the best way to learn.
Don't get too lazy. :)
Hi to Tommie.
God Bless,
Bobcat

haybob said...

Hey, I'm glad you are recovered.Sounded like a cool experience. It's only 109 here today. That's anything but cool. Ha!:)